Academic Credit

Transfer of Academic Credit from Other Institutions

A student seeking to transfer academic credit from another seminary-level institution must provide official transcripts for each course considered. Transfer credit may be granted for previous education in institutions providing similar courses with equivalent standards and requirements. Transfer credits may be accepted from institutions accredited by one of the seven regional accrediting bodies under the Council for Higher Education (CHEA), the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools or the Association for Biblical Higher Education.

Courses may be transferred as long as they are pertinent to the courses offered at Mid-America. No transfer credit is given for baccalaureate courses toward the requirements for master’s degree programs. No transfer credit is granted for courses taken by correspondence, extension programs, or distance learning programs unless such courses are included on the official transcript of an accredited institution. Transfer credit is granted only for courses in which the grade is C or higher. No remedial courses will be accepted. Students must take at least 30 hours at Mid-America to earn an undergraduate or master’s degree. Normally, no more than half of the seminars may be transferred into the program for doctoral degrees. (Policy consistent with SACSCOC standard 9.5.)

Granting of Academic Credit for Previous Non-Academic Experience

No academic credit is granted for previous non-academic experiential learning activities or for related field experience toward the completion of requirements for any degree program at the Seminary.

Granting of Academic Credit for Supervised Field Education Projects

Academic credit may be granted for supervised field education projects such as mission trips, archaeological studies, or hospital chaplaincy programs, provided that the student is enrolled at the Seminary, the field project includes a substantial component of academic requirements, and the field project is supervised and evaluated by an authorized person designated by the Seminary. Requests for specific field education projects for credit must be processed through the associate dean of graduate programs. Students should contact the registrar’s office for the appropriate form.